We have a packed weekend of fun social activities... including an Oktoberfest party.
Now, I am a cocktail girl. I am a wine girl. I am NOT a beer girl. I tried in college. I tried post-college (hoping perhaps it was the scourge of Busch Light). You wouldn't believe how many activities are accompanied by beer drinking. Try asking for wine at a tailgate. You will encounter some looks.
That's why I am always on the lookout for a good beer-based cocktail (sort of like training wheels for the wheat-averse). The Steamroller is one such beer-based drink, which adds rye whiskey, Heering Cherry Liqueur, St-Germaine, and a squeeze of lemon to steam beer (a full-bodied style of beer that is more bubbly than ale, but still clear and crisp).
The recipe is below the jump...
- 1 oz St-Germain
- 1 oz rye whiskey
- 1/2 oz Heering Cherry Liqueur
- 1 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice (plus lemon twist)
- 1 (12-oz) bottle of steam beer (Anchor Steam)
- Start with chilled pint glass.
- Combine all ingredients (sans lemon twist and steam beer) in a cocktail shaker. Fill the shaker halfway with ice, and shake.
- Strain into the chilled pint glass, add the lemon twist, and top with beer.
recipe and image via chow.com